Dad’s Super Simple Chicken Alfredo with Veg.
Last weekend my kids and I were having a lazy day playing and watching Netflix. When lunch rolled around and I asked them what they wanted the answer was noodles…..of course. I didn’t have any cheese for cheesy noodles, they didn’t want tomato sauce, so this was what I came up with. I call it Dad’s super simple chicken alfredo with veg. Its low fat and gluten free and I made the whole thing in one pot. I didn’t measure anything and it worked out well but Ill give approximate measures in the recipe. Feel free to play with this and make it your own.
celery, onion (mushroom and peppers would be rad as well)
butter or margarine
cornstarch (use flour if that works for you)
skim milk (any milk really, cream would be fantastic, almond milk works well too)
Nutritional yeast (packed with vitamins totally optional)
leftover chicken, (or any protein your kids like, a can of tuna would work)
gluten free macaroni (regular pasta works too)
1.Grab a pot, one that’s big enough to hold a entire box of macaroni and sauce
2. Dice the veg
3. Add about a tablespoon of margarine or butter to the pot
4. Saute the veg in the pot over medium heat until they’re soft (5 minutes-ish)
5. Place the cooked veg aside in a bowl or on the cutting board
6. Fill the same pot with water and bring to a boil
7. Add the pasta
8. When the pasta has about 5 minutes left to cook depending on how done you like it add the green peas (3/4 cup) to the pot with the boiling water and pasta so the peas and pasta can finish together.
9. Drain the peas and pasta combo and set aside.
10. Using the same pot melt about 4 table spoons of butter or margarine over medium heat
11. Whisk in 4 table spoons of corn starch or flour.
12. Add roughly 1 tea spoon of garlic powder
13. Add about 3 cups of milk (you may need more or less depending on how saucy you want this dish to be)
14. Add 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
15. Add roughly 3 oz of parm (More or less if you like)
16. Add the Chicken Bouillon cube
17. Stir occasionally until the sauce thickens
18. Taste it along the way. Does it need anything?
19. Once sauce is the desired consistency turn off the heat
20. Mix in the pasta and peas and the additional veg.
21. Mix in your diced chicken ( as much or as little as you’d like)
22. Stir this entire thing together and serve
That’s it dad, you’re done and you only dirtied one pot! As I mentioned feel fee to make this your own. Change the veg, the protein the noodle the “dairy” whatever! I hope you enjoy it. Happy Dadding!